Accidents happen all the time. It is often difficult to deal with the legal aspects of a personal injury claim when suffering the pain and trauma associated with an injury. Whether you were harmed in an automobile accident, a slip and fall accident, or due to a defective product, here are a few things to consider –
- First and foremost, your priority should be to get the best medical attention possible for your injuries.
- Be conscious about what you say at the scene of the accident. Make sure that you exercise maximum discretion when speaking with other parties.
- If the circumstances allow, file a police report. This will help record all the vital information.
- Maintain bills and records of all expenses you incur due to the accident. This includes your diagnostic expenses, medical treatment costs, lost wages, and property damage and repair costs.
- Do not give a statement to the insurance company until you have retained a personal injury attorney in San Diego. If you do so beforehand, be cautious because what you say may affect your case.
- If you have little knowledge about personal injury claims, avoid settling the case on your own and hire an attorney as soon as possible.
- Finally, if you are handling the claim yourself, make sure you are aware of all the deadlines associated with filing a claim. Most personal injuries have a certain window of time after the accident within which the claim must be filed – this is called the statute of limitations. Once this time period passes, your claim may be barred. If you have hired counsel, involve your counsel in every decision you make. At no point should you sign any documents or forms or give any statements without their knowledge or approval.